Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Appropriate 12" drivers abound, as well

Again, high sensitivity drivers are required, and, as others have pointed out, appropriate enclosures/baffling will provide "best results".

I'd suggest giving consideration to 12" coaxials. Personal favorites are the vintage Electrovoice "Wolverine" (their budget line) LT12. This is a 12" woofer (essentially the EV LS12) with a coaxial "whizzer" cone for midrange and a coaxially mounted EV T-35B compression driver/diffraction horn tweeter.

Nice sounding, beautifully made, and not expensive even on eBAY -- not terribly common, but there's usually a pair on there.

These can be put into large-ish vented boxes or used on "open baffles", perhaps with some subwoofer support for bass.

The other EV 12" coaxes (12TRXB and 12TRX) are pretty good, too -- but I really like the LT12 and they're far cheaper (i.e., represent, to my tastes, much better value).

(the mismatched cabinets in front of the Duplexes contain a pair of LT12s in this photo)

LT12 2
all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Appropriate 12" drivers abound, as well - mhardy6647 06:46:36 04/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.