Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Patrician 800 variation curious

The Patrician was made well into the late 1970's with the later production going almost entirely to Japan where the SET amp craze was in full swing, while we were still being distracted here in the US by high powered transistor amps. I had been assuming that the Patrician with the 18" woofer was the early version, but I'm not so sure now. I first heard the Patrician at a hi fi show in the early 60's and the 30W was the talk of the show. I have an EV DIY catalog from the early/mid 70's where the 30W is shown along with the SP12C and the SP15A, and there is no 18" woofer at that point. See the hifi lit link here for a couple of early EV catalogs and the Patrician 1V brochure where the 18'" woofer is shown and the Patrician has acquired dual 828 low mids which are double loaded with small horns on the front and a re-entrant horn on the rear. There used to be a lot of information on the EV website's Discontinued Products section, but most of it has disappeared now unfortunately.

Hopefully all of the drivers in your Patrician are functional along with the crossovers. It may be a good idea to replace the capacitors in the crossovers at this point, the T250 diaphragm is unobtainable now as the other posters mention, and the off shore repro replacement diaphragms for the T35/T350 are poor quality. Great Plains in Oklahoma obtained the tooling for making these from EV, but they were having trouble getting good phenolic bases to wind the coils on, or so I've heard.

You don't say if you've tried to listen to your Patrician yet, and a low powered tube amp is highly recommended. The 30W is a thing unto itself, and it's the last driver standing at the 16 Hz C1 on the pedals of a large pipe organ recording. Try Pictures at an Exhibition by Jean Guilou on Dorian CD.

Thank you from the Electro-Voice Brotherhood for your intention not to part out this magnificent speaker!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Patrician 800 variation curious - Paul Eizik 10:28:00 03/29/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.