Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: really? do the math (it's easy!)

What you are saying about the reverberant field is at direct odds with what Paul Joppa has repeatedly said.

" In a room, you can separate the sound field into two parts, the direct field and the reverberant field. The reverberant field is all the energy that has bounced at least once off a wall. It's very chaotic, but averaged over a region of space or frequency the mean level is uniform in the room - at least, if the room is not too weird.

The direct field falls off with an inverse square law, just as you said.

There is a "critical distance" at which the direct field equals the mean reverberant field. Beyond that distance, the averaged sound level does not vary. In an average living room, with speakers of average directivity, that critical distance happens to be approximately one meter - an extremely lucky, or at least convenient, coincidence."

When I walk around my room I don't hear the SPL drop off due to distance.

4' to 16' would be -12db in an open space. 12db is a lot of volume change.

I'm walking around my room right now with the system playing. Walking up close to the speaker (4') and back (16') and I hear nothing like a 12db change. I hear very little change at all and any change I do hear could be due to standing waves, etc.

Do you hear a 12db drop in SPL in your room going from a 4 foot distance to a 16 foot distance?

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.