Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Your answer got me thinking

You're welcome pix. I was just trying to point out some pitfalls that you have to remember are there. I think the truth lies in the fact there are a lot of right answers, because everybody has a slightly different need. For instance I don't know how loud you like or are able to play because of your living arrangement and neighbors. You might listen at a rather low volume, so your speakers are less stressed, and distortion or compression isn't so much a problem. You can get away with more. I was writing from my view point, which is I like music, and I sometimes like it loud. Usually in fact. I can get away with playing it loud, so I need my speakers to sound good at loud levels with low distortion. That's harder to do. I have to be a little more conservative. I am happy to say that I think I have a pair of speakers that play as loud as any home speaker you could wish, and it has incredibly low distortion. I really love the way they sound, and with only three and half watts! I think if any of the bad things I described before were happening with your speakers you would hear it.

Since you like the technical side and you have the miniDSP, then you should buy the calibrated mic for it. As DIY as you are you will need to test your horn and woofer. You may be using the old tried and true passive xover calculations. Try finding a program that helps design an xover with a flat impedance. ALK Engineering sells xover design software. It really makes a difference with SET amps. Trust me on this one. If you don't mind active xovers then try one of the Marchand active xovers. I can't recommend them highly enough. They really are great, and they have little pc cards to change the slope and type of crossover. It makes it very easy to try different arrangements. Symmetrical, asymmetrical, anything you want.

Lastly a conservative recommendation for your set up might be a second order slope at 500Hz, if your woofer goes that high. Third order slopes are good for horns, and at least they actually do something, unlike first order slopes. First order slopes are good for direct radiators generally, or direct radiator only speakers I should say.

I hope you get to a point where your technical side and the musical side come together for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Your answer got me thinking - Mr_Steady 17:18:41 02/08/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.