Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Your answer got me thinking

Thank you very much for an exhaustive and personally experienced reply. After all, there are no "truth" in this. Just different point of views, and a choice on whom to learn from.
First, to answer your question. No the Radian 750Pb has an aluminum -membrane.
Second, what you write about "You strain out a gnat, but you swallow a camel" is really what I needed to hear to get this horn extension ide a rest. I often get stuck in one specific detail, when I should discuss the whole system. I will later write down my complete system asking for advise where my weakest points are, and initially focus on them.
Btw, calculating with the horn cutoff (As PK did) as an acoustic filter sounds really like jeopardizing with the devil. A flapping membrane will surely put hard strain on the membrane surrounding even if not hitting into the driver dome. I prefer to handle this electrically with the filter. As I mentioned, I had settled on a 1´st order, 350Hz HP-filter for the horns. But surely there are more room for experiment here. Looking around, most people with similar setup uses higher order filters, which make me wonder if I turned back to my initially solution to easy. I have previously tried higher order passive, and active filters and also gone digital by using a miniDSP device. But after listening for months I always return to the simple solutions.
My experience of commercially driven gear is (as you described) that they are often far from optimized for their task, and that's why I seldom visit highend shows or hifi stores anymore. I prefer to learn and do it by myself. Ones avail I ask myself what is the goal of this hobby. For me it´s the craftsmanship, finding new ways to make things and understanding how (why) they work, more than the music itself. The feeling of turning (often cheap scrap) into good locking, well working gear gives me a good feeling.

Best
/Pix

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.