Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Thanks. How different are the Emilar horns (really) than 811Bs?

For what it's worth, I'm on team Joe when it comes to 811's and 511's. Tried 'em, many times, and just couldn't love 'em. If you can find 32's, they're much better, but don't cross them too low. I have had a few pairs of those bent horns through here and really liked the sound. Kind of wish I hadn't sold the last pair, but oh well.

I have a pair of late Lansing H-808 tar-filled multicell horns that I'm using these days. Love them more than the 32's, though I could live with either. Woofers are 414A's in just over 5 cu ft. Kind of like a 12" version of a Lansing Iconic.

For "small" Altec, my suggestion for the best you can do would be the JE Labs Altec 2-way (latest version with 32B horns). You could probably mess with the crossover, if you were so inclined, to squeeze a little more music out of them, but that's a pretty darn nice place to start. MUCH better than anything with an 806 + 811 horn, IME. Would work great with any amp from a SET 71A up to a 300B, unless you have a huge room or listen crazy loud.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.