Hi-Rez Highway

RE: CD player lens cleaner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hmmm. Well 200 hours is rather a short time to be able to build up dirt on the collimator lens of the optical pickup to such a degree that the player malfunctions in some way. Are you a smoking household? Coincidentally I have a transport from another manufacturer which uses the same mechanism as the SA-10 and has had a similar level of use or a little less.

I agree with the others that those cleaning discs can be dangerous. I was talking a few years ago to a top end player manufacturer who said that one of the most common returns to his service department was caused by cleaning discs knocking off that collimator lens. He suggested only a puff or two of compressed air if it was really necessary. Unfortunately the D&M mechanism in the SA-100 does not appear to allow easy access to the OPU as it all seems to be sealed in a metal housing which appears to form part of the loading mechanism. So direct cleaning of the lens gently using a cotton bud and a photographic lens cleaner is not on the cards (perhaps luckily).

What form does the "buggy" behaviour take?

"We need less, but better" - Dieter Rams

Follow Ups: