Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Digital Resolution -- An Analysis

I think what you have is an analysis of raw file size, but not entirely correct because you can use lossless compression on those PCM files to make them smaller w/o any loss in audio quality. For example you can compress with FLAC or ALAC and upon playback there's zero loss in quality.

But I don't think it's really a comparison of resolution, just file size and maybe bit-rate for streaming. Additionally, you reach a point of diminishing returns rather quickly in terms of actual audible differences.

IMHO the biggest factor is how well the original material was recorded / mastered. I'd take a well recorded and mastered CD 16/44.1 file over a "higher resolution" 24/192 or DSD512 file from a lesser quality recording any day.

And for folks who rip vinyl, I doubt that there's anything to be gained going beyond about 24/96 as there's no more useful information or dynamic range than that coming off the LP.... perhaps a bit more noise to pickup but that's about it.

Edits: 09/05/20 09/05/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.