Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Digital Resolution -- An Analysis

An audio buddy of mine recently sent me an email in which he quoted his friend talking about the introduction of digital into the telephone industry. His friend worked for AT&T and was instrumental in incorporating digital technology to replace the analog system in use at the time. Here's what he wrote:

After reading this, it occurred to me that this might be a good method to use for comparing the various digital formats being used in audio today. The method to evaluate and compare the different digital resolutions would be to multiply the sampling rate by the quantization bit rate for each digital format. That way the various digital formats could be compared on an equal basis. For example, the resolution of 16/44 Redbook would look like this:

Redbook resolution = 44,100-Hz x 16-bits = 705,600-bits/s per channel

DSD64 (SACD) resolution = 2,822,400-Hz x 1-bit = 2,822,400-bits/s per channel

If we allow 16/44 Rebook to be the standard to which the other formats are compared, we can see how much higher resolution the other formats provide. For example, here's how SACD compares to Redbook:

2,822,400 / 705,600 = 4.000-times Higher Resolution than Redbook

Here's a table of how some of the other digital formats compare to 16/44 Redbook:

As can be seen from the table, DXD has a resolution that falls in-between the resolution of DSD128 and DSD256. It also shows that 24/176.4 and 24/192 PCM both have significantly higher resolution than standard SACD. I have a feeling that DSD512 might be overkill when you compare the additional memory required for storage. On the other hand, DXD might be the most efficient digital format from the standpoint of digital resolution relative to the amount of storage memory required.

Anyway, I thought this type of comparison was rather interesting so I wanted to see what some of you other digital enthusiasts think about this concept.

Thanks!
John Elison

Edits: 09/02/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Digital Resolution -- An Analysis - John Elison 17:21:46 09/02/20 (44)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.