Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: First results

" Just to verify that I am still sane and my system is working, I go back to the Amazon files I played previously, and they switched, very nicely, into 192K."

Did you read my earlier posting about Amazon, the lack of ability to open exclusive sessions and therefore that the files will be up or downsampled to the resolution set in your computer's sound engine? So if I am correct and you are using a mac or Windows computer to play Amazon HD via the downloaded desktop player or via a browser player you will be seeing 192 KS/s of files that are originally 96 KS/s because you are upsampling (or unknowingly upsampling) and that figure is what will be displayed by your DAC. Check whether the Windows Sound mixer or the mac MIDI player is set to 24/192.

If a file is only available as 24/96 on Qobuz then that is almost certainly the maximum resolution that the record label has supplied to Qobuz and the maximum resolution that there is. Qobuz do not use any form of DSP to alter the FLAC resolution.

The reason that you will not find many files @ 192 is that not many exist. It is not a common mastering format and as hi-res files go the majority are 24/96. However particularly in the rock/pop field there are also many 24/88.2 and even more 24/44.1 files. I speculate that this is because 24/192 multi-track recorders are uncommon at this time. Most of the 24/192 files that i have encountered on Qobuz seem to be re-digitised analogue recordings from the UMG catalogue ( particularly DGG).

"We need less, but better" - Dieter Rams

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: First results - PAR 10:16:13 05/09/20 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.