Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Read the link I provided

I started reading the post in the link.

"There is no question that MQA degrades the quality of the audio for users who do not have an MQA decoder."

Not a particularly scientific point. Like saying your car will not run well without wheels.

It sets a poor tone for the article. I hope it gets better although the author seems to have an axe to grind rather than presenting a scientific case for his position.

Before we get too far into this, please allow me to state my position.

1. I have a turntable and and rather nice cartridge and phono pre. My preference is for analog over ANY digital source I am aware of so this discussion is for what will be the second tier for my system.

2. I work in electronics/electromagnetic compatibility but I do not have a complete understanding of digitization.

3. About 1 person out of 10,000 or so actually understands the Nyquist Theorem.

4. I have Tidal, a Mytek Brooklyn DAC +, a Meridian Explorer 2 and an Onkyo DP-X1a all of which support MQA.

5. If I get to a point where I can discern that MQA adversely affects sound quality more than other digitization/digital storage/streaming schemes adversely affect sound quality, I would abandon MQA.

Edits: 01/26/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.