Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

OK - so I just listened to the 6-minute DSD256 excerpt

And I think it really illustrates why you just can't release a recording as a one-shot experience with no editing - you HAVE to edit! About 26 seconds in, one of the horn players misses one of his notes - it's not THAT audible, but it's there. Just imagine listening to this mistake repeatedly, anticipating that it's going to be coming up, and losing your focus on the music in the meantime. Not good.

But OTOH, it does raise the same question which Mel raised (way down below in this thread): if you have to edit anyway, why not just record the work in DXD from the get-go, without all this conversion back and forth. Sure, I know the argument that the actual amount of time taken up by the edits is not that large. But Jared has told us that some movements of his previous releases contain a VERY LARGE number of edits (and there's nothing unusual about that - it's just the normal way classical studio recordings are made these days - and even the so-called "live" performances are a patched-together result of a series of performances, edited together).

So, how about it, Jared? I know you and Tom are believers in DSD, but might we hope that, at some point, we might have a DXD-sourced recording or two from Channel Classics? ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.