Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Playlist of Hi-Rez NOT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

I think that your basic problem is an unrealistic expectation.

Sublime + is only 51 days old today. To expect all or most of the albums on offer to be available with 24 bit depth is frankly naive given the fact that Qobuz is not offering only brand new recordings but those available over the whole history of recording which have been digitised and commercially released. Very few, if any, recordings made using digital methods between approx 1973 and , say, 2000 or even later will ever be available in true 24 bit resolution as the technology was then not in use. Other analogue recordings that were digitised during that period may never be digitised again using hi-rez technology as they are of comparatively minority interest.

Furthermore there is the question of record company compliance in making hi-rez recordings available which I have covered in my earlier posts.

Right now you and I are early adopters of a hi-rez streaming service that already offers a greater magnitude of hi-rez recordings than any competitor. The number of hi-rez recordings available will increase substantially over the period of your subscription. By way of example when I joined Qobuz around 8 months ago the works of some of my favourite British composers were noticeable by their complete absence. Now, however, they may be represented by a great proportion of all the recordings made post the 78 era. Of course 100% is unlikely ever to be achieved.

Just accept, as an early adopter, that the repertoire available to you in hi-rez will grow and that, irrespective of hi-rez, the 16/44.1 files still sound great subject to the original recording (which, after all, trumps all).

I would add that wehn you say that recordings are not avialable in the format advertised this is incorrect. Nowhere does Qobuz state that any given recording is available for streaming in a particular format. They just say "available". Which they are as Qobuz is both a streaming and a download purchase ( BTW at a big discount) service.

Edits: 07/05/17

Follow Ups: