Hi-Rez Highway

RE: Sound Quality: USB HDD vs. Ethernet NAS/HDD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Hi-Rez Highway ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

A quick answer is, yes, HDDs can add noise. In fact your choice of using a 2.5" drive is the worst solution as they are all powered via the 5v pin from the USB bus. Those USB power lines are usually very noisy electrically. I would also point out that my reference earlier to one of my HDDs being " inferior" for sound was in rlation to a Samsung 2.5" drive.

So there is a conflict here with a requirement for minimum mechanical noise as desktop HDDs do generate some such noise compared to 2.5" ones. I would add that they do quieten down after some use and I am mostly unaware of the noise from any of my Seagate HDDs when listening from a couple of metres away. But " mostly" is the caveat and for anyone for whom absolute silence at all times is neccesary this is not a good solution.

The Melco is interesting ( in fact I am considering one myself). Although it can be connected to an NAS spource via ethernet I believe that they contain enough internal storage (1 or 2 Tb) to be used as stand alone devices for many people. That may be a simple solution with an HDD ( or HDDS) used for backup and/or as a library source to load the Melco's memory. There is , however, the question of a control application as I don't think that Melco offers one of its own ( which confuses matters - well, for me).

Follow Ups: