Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Dang! That might explain...

the sad faces above. ;-)

As usual, you explained it so even I can understand it.

And yes, you are right on every count.

My comment, 'at the end of the day' was to the point that increased bandwidth and lower costs to transfer large files may be less of an issue as time goes by. Somehow, QOBUZ has found a way to stream 'Hi Rez' at little ($10 mo.?) more cost to the consumer. Plus don't forget that MQA DENIES that it's a form of DRM!

We know that it COULD be a form of DRM. We know because one of the ways they are trying sell it to record labels is based on 'as only licensed products can decode and play your master files, you can safely release them for sale with little risk they will see a wider, unauthorized distribution'.

As the spinning silver disk is on it's way out, albeit slowly, that doesn't look like a likely use case for MQA.

'Hi End' DAC manufactures (or low end Chinese DAC manufacturers) don't seem to be jumping on the band wagon either. That means that even if the DAC I own today has MQA the 'DAC-Of-My-Dreams' that I hope to buy tomorrow might NOT!

And without a lot of hardware in the market to play it, the download sites who could have something to gain by blocking unlimited re-distribution of the files they sell or getting MQA encoded files from the labels at a discount because of 'DRM', don't seem to be rushing to join either.

Would I buy a 'hi rez' download I could only truly enjoy (maybe) with a 'special' DAC or proprietary software?

Nope. Not even if MQA was a 100% perfect lossless CODEC, I wouldn't! Not even at half price for the download, if it required proprietary software to decode and play it or worse, a 'special' DAC.

So it looks like 'MQA will go away', eventually, even without the 'nay sayers' continuously beating on it.

Sad faces indeed!

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.