Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: "desiring that DAC manufacturers should go this route (for a licensing fee of course)"...

>> it turns out that MQA is little more than an attempt to license a digital filter? <<

I don't think that is a complete picture. Originally it was promoted as a way to reduce the file size of high-res files. It clearly does so for sampling rates of 2x or greater, through the use of lossy encoding techniques. This is a clear benefit for streaming service providers, but less so for their subscribers - they are charged by data transfer volumes, whereas most consumers pay extra only for higher speeds, regardless of overall transfer volume. (If one considers single-rate (eg, 44.1kHz and 48kHz) files with 24 bits of resolution as "high-res", MQA would seem to be less successful at reducing file size.)

Later it seemed MQA's goals expanded to "improving" the sound quality over the original high-res digital file. This is the aspect to which your comment appears to be aimed.

Finally MQA also appears to provide a means for the record labels to re-deploy DRM, at least for resolutions above 4x/16.

As always, solely my personal opinions, prone to error and not necessarily those of my employer or legal counsel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.