Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Something seems very wrong here

>> There are two spectra in the chart below: MQA is red (although you can hardly see it) <<

I can only see the yellow line and therefore assume that it overlays the red line almost exactly. If that is the case, then something is very odd with the digital filter in the D/A converter. There is no way that a "leaky" digital filter with a slow rolloff would create that spectrum.

The only possibility I currently see is that you listened to "the CD-res file, with the MQA decoder turned on--but this of course is not an MQA file, so that shouldn't matter". Apparently it does matter, which would imply some things that don't seem at all right to me. Before going down that rabbit hole, could you do us a favor and measure the spectrum of the CD with the MQA filter disengaged?

PS - I also had a similar concern when (the other) JA measured the Mytek Brooklyn. Figure 6 (linked below) shows the response of the MQA filter. I do not understand how it would be possible to measure the MQA filter without having a special MQA test tone that would activate the MQA filter. Again, more questions than answers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.