Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

To clarify ...

I realized that I was unclear with how I presented the plot I posted above--not just with AA readers but with myself. I made that measurement a while ago and had not recently thought much about exactly what I'd done. I decided to revisit the issue. With a bit more confidence--not to say understanding--I compared Tidal files: the MQA file (decoded) and the CD-res file, with the MQA decoder turned on--but this of course is not an MQA file, so that shouldn't matter. This is the first track on Beyonce's Lemonade, which is available on Tidal in MQA (44.1/24 decoded) and regular CD resolution.

I repeated this several times, carefully. Spent 2 hours recording three minutes of music, over and over, being very careful not to get the files confused. I'm confident of the result. There are two spectra in the chart below: MQA is red (although you can hardly see it), CD-res is yellow. These are Tidal files delivered bit-perfect to the converter--the Mytek Brooklyn--via Roon. The Brooklyn's MQA converter is turned on.

The two spectra--44.1 MQA, decoded, and CD-res--are identical, to within small fractions of a dB.

What's the nature of the ultrasonic information then? Upsampling? Aliasing? I don't know. But while I haven't ruled out the possibility that the Mytek DAC's MQA filter could be involved (since it could still be active even with non-MQA data), this does not appear to be an MQA phenomenon.

Edits: 06/05/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.