Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: MQA Loses Part of Spectrum on Some Tracks?

>> IMHO that should include anti-shilling the competition. <<

Not only do I agree with you, but believe the rules already *do* ban "anti-shilling the competition". Do you believe that *any* hardware manufacturer is competing with MQA?

As noted previously, any and all hardware manufacturers are free to license and use MQA's technology. Even Schiit said they would re-evaluate their anti-MQA position should it ever become an important market force. It seems to me that the vast majority of hardware manufacturers are still in evaluation mode. There have been several early adopters announced, but to the best of my knowledge only two companies are actually shipping MQA-equipped DACs (three if you count the recently upgraded AudioQuest USB DACs, which apparently only qualify as MQA "renderers" as the unfolding must be performed via software - either the Tidal app or Audirvana for Macs only).

It seems to me that there are two main reasons for a DAC manufacturer to adopt MQA. The first would be if it were deemed to provided a true technological advantage, and the second would be to able to sell customers a new product with a new feature. In my opinion the latter would only be ethical if one believed the former, especially given the extremely limited content available. On the other hand if at some point there becomes a significant number of titles available *only* in one format, it only makes sense for DAC manufacturers to support that format (as implied by Schitt Audio).

As usual, strictly my personal opinion and not necessarily that of my employer or milk-man.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MQA Loses Part of Spectrum on Some Tracks? - Charles Hansen 03:36:59 06/03/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.