Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Also...

The other thing about dBpoweramp (which I use and love) is that they have established what I believe is the best method to ensure the accuracy of a rip, which they call Accurate Rip. When you rip a CD, it creates a checksum which is then compared to the checksums of all of the other rips of the same disc from other users world-wide. When you have >3 rips from different users with different discs and different CD mechanisms all giving identical MD5 checksums, one can be absolutely confident of having a bit-perfect rip.

While both Apple's iTunes ripper and Exact Audio Copy (EAC) use some tricks to ensure an accurate rip, the dBpoweramp ripping software also performs the same tricks. However it alone can compare your rip to those of other users with different discs and CD mechanisms. When ripping an HDCD disc you should also be able to use dBpoweramp's Accurate Rip feature to ensure that the rip itself is bit perfect and that there have been no interpolated errors. If you are getting bit-perfect rips of your HDCDs, I don't see any way that dBpoweramp's HDCD decoding could possibly be so poor as to affect the decoded bit depth.

dBpoweramp has always been at the forefront of digital audio tools. There was a period of many years where their reverse-engineered ALAC encoder out-performed Apple's own tools. Specifically if one used iTunes to transcode a high-res file to ALAC, it would play perfectly fine. But if one took that same ALAC file and transcoded back to WAV with iTunes, it would be truncated to 16 bits. It took years for Apple to correct, but dBpoweramp's version never had a similar problem.

As usual all postings strictly my own opinions, and not necessarily that of my employer or organ-grinding monkey.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.