Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Qobuz Sublime

OK. Well I wouldn't go to Richer Sound for expert advice ;-)

You don't use a laptop with the WXC-50. It connects directly to your router and you control it via your tablet or smartphone using the Musicast app. I have linked to the user manual so you can work out if it is functionally right for you before purchasing. It provides Qobuz support for pieces bought in the UK, French, German, Austrian markets.

It outputs a digital stream to a DAC. Your Cambridge amp has an inbuilt DAC. The DAC is specified for all of the common PCM formats including the hi-rez ones: 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 and 24/192 according to the specs that you posted last week.

The Yamaha provides connectivity via both optical and co-ax. If the current SP/dif protocol is used by streamer and amp then <24/192 is available. The older protocol limits SP/Dif to 24/96.

So on the face of it I cannot see why you would need to buy an external DAC unless you preferred it for other reasons than functionality. However see below.

Of course you won't get DSD hi-rez but then no streaming service provides this and Qobuz do not offer DSD downloads.

Note again that Qobuz does not provide hi-rez streaming as part of its usual service. It is lossless 16/44.1. If you buy and download a hi-rez album from them then you can stream it as well. However I have not seen how Qobuz appears in a Musicast view so I can only assume that all the features are there. You may like to ask Qobuz. If you go to their website and look at the bottom of the page you will see a link to customer services.

When using a laptop you cannot just plug this into your amp (or the amp's DAC)as it has no USB input. Perhaps this is what the Richer Sounds salesperson was referring to? Yes you can buy a USB DAC and do it but otherwise you can use a USB/co-ax converter (I did mention this last week). The laptop USB output plugs into the USB input on the converter which has a co-ax output which connects to your amp . That is if your amp has a co-ax input. Is it only toslink? If so then that does complicate matters further.

NB: USB/Co-ax converters vary a lot in performance and price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.