Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Cool!

Yes, I also met Harry and visited Sea Cliff several times. I did not get to hear his experiments with Mch.

That's a shame. It was in Room 1 at the front of the house. You are likely aware he was also a video buff and used it as HT as well using a Runco projector and huge screen. Front end used EMM Labs separates through a Conrad-Johnson MET1 with Edge G AV amp driving Magneplanar 20.1s, dual CCR centers and 1.6s with five Nola Thunderbolt subs. Naturally, Nordost Valhalla cabling was used throughout. :)

...but he did that by planting so much utter nonsense in audiophile brains. Sorry to step on your toes again, but that is how I see it.

No problemo. HP could indeed be HP but overall his knowledge of music and ability to discern audible differences was incredible. His close friend Dr. Cooledge, another valuable mentor who introduced me to him was aware of that as well. Technical knowledge really wasn't required as he had a guy to take care of that stuff. During my visits, I would sometimes check tube bias and adjust if necessary. Which could be time consuming when he used the VTL Wotans! I didn't share the same set of priorities with him either. He tended to listen at higher levels than I find comfortable and usually had the bass towers cranked a bit.

edit: The first time I visited was 1980 when he was running the IRS in Room 2. While the big Infinity speakers were incredible in many ways, the bass towers sounded like they belonged to a different system. When he moved to the big Nola Exotica Grand Reference, things improved to these ears. But there was still a sense of listening to The Bass and The Rest of the Range. The Scaenas were the most coherent of the ones he used since the entire speaker operated as a monopole. The "depth charge" subs rarely spoke until the content required it.

But, if you believe you can, more power to you.

For me, it has never really been a deliberate "choice". Like those who possess perfect pitch (for which I am not), the ability can be both a blessing and a curse. Once I became aware of this kind of discontinuity as a teenager, I can no longer ignore it. Here is an example:

A few years back, business took me to the Cleveland area where an inmate that hangs out at Vintage lives. He extended an invitation to his condo and we spent a delightful evening well into the wee hours. As an engineer himself, he does lots of DIY and measures most everything. He had a really tweaked set of Advents and JBL L110s. We first listened to the Advents which are quite familiar to me as that was my first serious speaker and I still have modified pair to this day. Then we switched over to the L110s (the neutral brother to the Centuries). At once, the top end was more extended and tonal balance nore neutral through the midrange. What I couldn't ignore, however, was the fun house mirror effect due to inconsistent directivity. The midrange was driven an octave too high such that the upper midrange/lower highs shrunk dimensionally only to transition immediately to a wide dispersion tweeter sitting right in the middle of its optimum range. At first he didn't notice the difference until I explained the phenomena.

It is when I plop down in my music room for a few hours to do serious listening that I almost never listen in stereo anymore.

To each his own. I love classical, but some of my favorites were recorded long before MC. I also enjoy a range of other genres, too

And, yes, I do not listen to synthesized Mch, just discretely recorded.

Artificially generated *ambience* and other *effects* sound, well - artificial to me as well. I'm glad we agree on something. :)

Edits: 04/14/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Cool! - E-Stat 10:07:26 04/14/17 (1)
    • RE: Cool! - Fitzcaraldo215 12:35:04 04/14/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.