Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: We must hear things differently :)

Well, we are off topic.

It's certainly on topic for me regarding the assertion I quoted ("one can always assemble a better sounding Mch system than a stereo."). Always? I find that a great system always begins with speakers that achieve a certain level of performance. Indeed the CLS suffered from limited panel area. Even the larger CLX has but half the area of mine.

I find that 600 watts of tube power provides sufficient dynamic output. I get measurably flat response to 30 hz in my room (pic in gallery) which works fine for my needs. That was achieved with careful placement and a small forest of bass traps.

I do not think we can directly hear dispersion patterns

Perhaps I am just hyper sensitive to coherency as I definitely do. A piano, for example, should radiate sound as if it is a single instrument. I was never a fan of early JBL speakers because they operated the midrange driver a good octave too high for consistent directivity and possessed a "fun house mirror" sort of image perspective from a frequency standpoint. Delivering consistent directivity has been a design consideration for many speaker manufacturers as of late. Even with sound reinforcement companies like Danley Sound Labs.

All I'm saying is your "always" is apparently not shared by many other inmates given the limited responses to this thread.

To each his own. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.