Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Digital download revenues on the way out

12Mbs is a fast internet connection. I am talking about people who are lucky to get Kbs. On a good day. For many the internet exists only in a dream of the future.

Certainly 12Mbs should be more than fast enough for CD standard streaming. However at a basic level (which 12Mbs significantly exceeds for this example) simply meeting a textbook average transfer rate suitable for the medium in question will not guarantee a connection without drop outs, buffering etc. as the actual data rate available will fluctate.

If 12Mbs is what is offered as a maximum by the ISP assume that it will be lower in practice and may be substantially lower if you live some distance from the nearest major distribution point ( "Exchange" in British English but I don't know what term you may use for it), if it's a copper twisted pair ADSL or fibre etc. There are other constraints in practice depending upon the ISP and your contractual relationship with them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Digital download revenues on the way out - PAR 16:21:18 04/02/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.