Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: I'm talking about the conversion of PCM to 1 bit...

Yes, definitely oldmkvi: have a look at Kal's review of your Sony: http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-36-page-2#Exdjij4SPkvsOMgD.97 .

These things are always somewhat taste and system dependent. Of the three players that aspire to reference quality that I've owned and had in my current system: the Marantz SA-14, Esoteric DV-50 and Oppo bdp-95, none have employed this conversion to DSD. But my brother's Meridian 208 outperformed all three for CD, to the best of my memory, except for the Oppo with HDCD - where the Oppo is outstanding. Of these three players I liked the Marantz the least: not only did it take up extra space in my rack but it was overly warm relative to my system and taste. But knowing Marantz I'd be surprised if the new player doesn't sound "warm and liquid" as well, regardless of the "new" DAC technology.

My brother now prefers the Bryston bda-3 DAC, driven by the Meridian. While Bryston massively oversamples the PCM to 384/32 they keep DSD and PCM conversion totally separate "to avoid conversion", so that playback is "bit perfect" to the original media. Personally I've developed a resistance to these marketing claims based on competing technologies.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I'm talking about the conversion of PCM to 1 bit... - Jim Pearce 09:44:29 02/06/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.