Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: go listen to the MBLs

You are right the mbl warrants an extended listen or two, to flesh out strengths and weaknesses. As I mentioned, last Sunday on one track in particular the mbl sounded as good, probably better than any speaker I have heard in a 5 minute stretch. But that really does not mean that much because other times in other venues and even in the *same* venue the mbl has fallen far short of that fidelity level. (This is not just true of the mbl). While it shows what the mbl is capable of it might not fulfill that potential across the music spectrum. We have all seen that in demos where the demonstrator knows exactly what source disc and at what loudness level (critical) to bring a speaker/system to its pinnacle. And, in fact, even in our own systems we come across, sometimes strictly by accident, a music piece that bring out an amazing strength (or weakness?) that we never knew the system was capable of even if we have lived with that system for several years.

****ask the MBL dealers to play you music at bedtime levels, and see if they still float your boat***

If you play classical music that has both very loud as well as extended and remarkable quiet (as low as the system/room allows) passages would that not serve the same "test"?

I do understand that some audiophiles view the ability of a speaker to play well softly or at low levels to be a hallmark attribute. I'm not one of those as I rarely play my music that low except when low level volumes are part of the composition which is practically most every classical music piece I listen to. If the speaker did not resolve well or otherwise did not sound excellent at low levels I would know during the normal course of listening.

P.S. I'm just reminded of a time I was auditioning several line stages in my system, each for a few days. I had narrowed it down to between two. But then in the normal course of listening I played a pipe organ disc. The disc was not intended to be a "test", but it caused one of the line stages to completely flunk out. It simply would not fully pass through the lower octave. Otherwise, it performed exemplary.

Robert C. Lang

Edits: 08/08/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.