Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Common Practices

T-Bone writes . . .

<Generally, most people achieve some mix of dealing with actual acoustic issues in the room, and "tuning" the balance of their system, in my experience.

<Mine is actually a mix of colors . . . is this a problem? ;-)

<< If his original source component was terribly bright or bass heavy then room damping was not the proper fix in the first place!"

I agree, to some degree. I think we are dealing with more subtle effects here, than simply overt inbalance. Let me put it this way. I am more comfortable in "opening" my room (removing damping) with SACD than with either analogue or CD. My subjective experience is there is simply a much higher level of focus with SACD, which especially keeps high frequency sounds more closely aligned with their apparent source, avoiding that disconnected "hash" we all object to.

Actually, we would all probably do a lot less tuning and tweaking if we had usable tone controls.

>>but interesting to see how the discussion turns to agendas.<<

What agenda are you refering to???

I was referring to a phenomena where, whatever the content of the original post, some respondents manage to twist it around to continue to assert positions clearly articulated by them elsewhere (e.g. the whole, 777 sucks as a CD player {my hyperbolic illustration}).

Rick Gardner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Common Practices - Rick Gardner 07:06:31 11/28/00 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.