Headphone Heights

RE: Stax headphones are the best ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

'); } else { document.writeln(' '); } } else { document.writeln(' '); } } else { document.writeln(' '); } } // End -->
While I in general agree that Stax headphones are outstanding, the Audeze LCD 3/4 headphones can compete with them very well.

I had a pair of Stax SR-007 II and a KGSSHV amp from Mjolnir Audio. I thought the combo sounded great. My only knit was that some recordings just sounded a bit threadbare.

Went a long time not listening to headphones, and wound up selling the setup. Well, after several months, the desire to have headphones came back. I had feedback from a number of fellow audiophools that planar headphones have many of the qualities of ESL cans, and can provide a fuller sound compared to ESL.

I can report that the Audeze LCD-3 cans are every bit as enjoyable as the Stax SR-007, and in many cases, do indeed a fuller sound over the Stax.

BTW, I get it that at this level, the headphone amp can make a large difference. Since I had such a positive experience with Mjolnir regarding amps, went with a Mjolnir Dynalo amp to drive the LCD-3 headphones. To me, it's as good as the Stax setup on most recordings, and exceeds the Stax on other recordings.

Horses For Courses

"What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier!" (Paul Klipsch)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]
[ Comment ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ] [ Copyright Warning! Click for Details ]