Headphone Heights

RE: Anyone tried Focal Elear or Utopia headphones?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

Heard the Utopia's about a month ago at a local headphone meet. Was extremely interested in comparing them to my HiFiMan 560's, and very skeptical given the 560's are very, very good. Heard both with my HP laptop as a source into an (then) unfamiliar Chord Mojo dac/amp. I listened to my own recorded files at 24/192 from my TASCAM 3000 recorder off my LPs.

As I told another guy there, they made my 560's sound 'ragged'. The Focal's were clean, clear, dynamic and precise up and down the band. Were they worth over 4 times as much as the HiFiMan? Don't know, but I'm intrigued enough to go back soon for a listen to the Elears.

Without a direct comparison back at home, I went right back to enjoying the 560s as much as ever. The planar sound is, I think, a bit more thick, more visceral, but at the expense of clarity vs the Utopias.

Also heard the Audeze LCD-X's, but they seemed a poor match for the Mojo, being a bit bright. Or at least that was my impression in limited auditioning. And it was so evident I didn't keep listening long. A shame as I was very much looking forward to a session with them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]
[ Comment ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ] [ Copyright Warning! Click for Details ]