Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Herb spits in Mikeys Face

Hi, stellavox,

Michael Fremer acknowledges the extreme pricing of the Boulder 2108 phono stage. I doubt he was upset by anything Herb Reichert said about it in that regard.

Here's what Mr. Fremer said about the 2108's precursor, the 2008...
(https://www.stereophile.com/content/analog-corner-300-boulder-2108-consolidated-audio-monster-can)

"A few years later, the Boulder 2008 arrived. It was priced outrageously - $29,000 - and built like no phono preamplifier I'd encountered."

And here's what he said about the 2108...

"An updated top-of-the-line Boulder phono preamp was due - hence the 2108, introduced in late 2018 at a price of $52,000."

"Before you whine about the price, consider that $29,000 - the 2008's price when it was introduced - is $41,330.08 in today's dollars. So, the 2108 is really only about $12,000 more expensive. Don't you feel better?" [emphasis added]

Michael Fremer shouldn't have to put a winking emoji at the end of that comment to make his point clear. He gets it. His job is reviewing "outrageously" expensive components and he's having the time of his life, I doubt anything Mr. Reichert says about that gear is going to make any difference. I find it encouraging that reviewers have their differences and get to express them in their reviews. Otherwise, why bother?

Tom

Edits: 10/15/20 10/15/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Herb spits in Mikeys Face - tketcham 05:24:45 10/15/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.