Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Numerical masturbation

I have no idea where this false meme of desiring bad measurements comes from, although it is fostered by some of those whose audio ox has been gored.

Actually, most at ASR "drool with anticipation" at the prospect of another excellently designed and engineered piece of audio gear being tested, and found to be approaching SOTA standards. Many of us were very pleased to see Schiit respond to Amir's testing and evaluation with better engineering - while still keeping their quirky reputation.

Some ASR members have sent their personal gear in for testing, and if it was found to be not so great by the numbers - they accept that and continue to enjoy what their eyes and ears told them was a good component.

I find that level of openness and honesty refreshing.

And yes, it is primarily a technical (science and engineering) forum, and not yet another subjectivist audio forum. One might guess that its appeal would be limited - yet ASR has become incredibly popular among audio enthusiasts - young (the headphone and IEM crowd) and old (the amps and loudspeaker crowd).

Most regulars at ASR seem to believe that we should buy and own what we like, regardless of measurements - but it is interesting to know how a piece of kit measures. We believe that false advertising to the public is wrong, and back the practice of exposing that and sometimes even the outright fraud that is seen in the audio world.

People should participate at as many internet audio forums as they like - the most popular ones offer an interesting spectrum of approaches to the subject.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.