Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Was it not "Bill" Gaetz' job not to be surprised by Apple?...

LOL! An dedicated technical expert makes a couple of errors among hundreds of procedures and corrects them when they are discovered and pointed out to him. How is that bad? Isn't that the way science works? Like all good science-minded people, Amir accepts corrections, and continues to make serious efforts to do science properly - unlike the people who pass off lousy signal-to-noise and high distortion as high-fidelity at outrageous prices.

Even Schitt bought a new audio analyzer after being called out for poor engineering by Amir - and they have since improved the performance of their cool and trendy offerings. What, in your opinion - is wrong with striving for low distortion and a high signal to noise ratio?

OTOH, PS Audio has been defensive, and are trying to justify their poor performance with respect to true high-fidelity electronics. But give them credit for publishing some of their lousy specs - hidden somewhere in the advertising copy.

Audio electronics used as fixed (non-variable) upstream tone controls or signal modifiers seems rather silly to me. Doesn't it make more sense to keep the character of recorded music flat and accurate as possible from source all the way to the speakers and then do whatever you want to the signal with DSP? Does it really make sense to randomly adjust the audio signal via sound-altering electronic components and cables.

And don't get me started on listening sessions where people can only hear differences if the know in advance or during the session what they are listening to. Ever hear of psychoacoustics - another branch of science? Are you aware of the proven fallibility of acoustic memory for moderate differences, much less small and subtle differences?

I am aware of the technical "flaws" in some of the gear I've owned over the years, but still thoroughly enjoyed it. In 2003 I owned a 2A3 Italian-made SET that was hand-built by Attillio Caccamo of Tektron. It was fed by a custom 6sn7 transformer-coupled preamp from Australian Mick Maloney, and the speakers back when I had a nice big living room were Klipsch Forte II's. Most of the components probably would have measured poorly, but I did not care.

Like most of the regulars at ASR, I believe that people can - and should - listen to whatever sound system and music they enjoy. But I just don't like "charlatans" who pass off amateur-level design and implementation as SOTA. Seeking truth while acknowledging errors when they do occur is perhaps why ASR is more than twice as popular as AudioAsylum in terms of WEB traffic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.