Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Audio Science Review

First, please point to where I suggested in any way that the existing tests have been shown to correlate to musical enjoyment, realism, or whatever floats your boat. In fact, I specifically said that was not the case.

Second, if you don't believe that corruption of the original musical waveform - which was in fact variations in air pressure - through noise and distortion in the electrical transduction of same is the cause for inaccurate or unsatisfying musical reproduction, just what is the cause? Evil leprechauns casting spells over the listener?

And, although I am not a fan of opamps in audio, I think you misunderstand just how feedback works. Or, you didn't spell it out right. Open loop gain is not what needs to be corrected - that can be done with a resistor or two. Large open loop gain is what allows feedback to work in amplifiers. It is part of the correction mechanism.

Maybe feedback has been used as a magical cure-all where it's not. People who design and build open loop amplifiers might specifically address problems that designers who've used feedback have chosen to ignore. Some pretty smart people believe that feedback has not been applied suitably in audio products. They could be right - I try to keep an open mind for the possibilities.

I wasn't going to continue here, and will not after this post, but since you chose to throw derogatory terms in my direction, I felt I should reply so that everybody is clear on what I am saying. You can agree or disagree with me if you like, even in a public forum such as this one. You can call me stupid, ignorant, and whatever else you want, too, but please don't twist around what I said or did not say.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.