Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Audio Science Review

I was going to joke, but instead I'll just offer that all, as in every single music signal is composed of sine waves. That's fundamental physics as mathematically described, and really not the crux of the measurement problem.

Almost all of the tests that are talked about in the magazine reviews and in manufacturer's literature are incredibly simplistic and don't represent the same level of sophistication found in other fields where large numbers of complex signals are transmitted. On the basis of this alone, it's no wonder that test results can't correlate to sound quality.

I'm not saying that the more elaborate testing already available from instrument companies like Audio Precision is yet able to accurately predict how any or every person will perceive sound reproduction. But, the tests that are argued about now are barely basic. It's about equivalent to a doctor basing his or her entire diagnosis on your temperature. Not enough.

There's actually an impressive amount of good, useful information available on the internet. Yet, it's pretty much ignored. Just this week, I was looking at the late Siegfried Linkwitz's web site. There's a wealth of well researched information there. And, it's free! Very few people seem to care about investing time to understand what he wrote. Instead, the same old discussions like the sound of second harmonics get thrown around.

I suppose in the end, it doesn't matter because for most people, because this is only a hobby. But, coming back around to the original subject, higher resolution tests of simple system characteristics don't really tell you very much.

Edits: 10/18/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.