Critic's Corner

RE: to get threads ... taken down? I don't think so.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Critic's Corner ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Honestly, Stereophile/Audiostream's own words back this up, although to be fair and accurate Robert Harley at TAS has been just over the top. So they are the Co-Ultimate.

Exhibit A;

John Atkinson, Stereophile (link below)

"In almost 40 years of attending audio press events, only rarely have I come away feeling that I was present at the birth of a new world. In March 1979, I visited the Philips Research Center in Eindhoven, Holland and heard a prototype of what was to be later called the Compact Disc. In the summer of 1982, I visited Ron Genereux and Bob Berkovitz at Acoustic Research's lab near Boston and heard a very early example of the application of DSP to the correction of room acoustic problems. And in early December, at Meridian's New York offices, I heard Bob Stuart describe the UK company's MQA technology, followed by a demonstration that blew my socks off.

With a pair of Meridian digital active speakers being fed audio data from a laptop, Bob was playing 24-bit files with sample rates up to 192kHz, yet the data rate was not much more than the CD's 1.5Mbps! Not only that, but there was palpability to the sound, a transparency to the original event, that I have almost never heard before, which Jason Victor Serinus can testify to."

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa#lF0OIuTJJigsqaJA.99

"The birth of a new world"...
"
Not only that, but there was palpability to the sound, a transparency to the original event, that I have almost never heard before."

I find it impossible to take any body seriously who prints this kind of preposterous nonsense. MQA is just as valid as the dawn of the Compact Disc? Really. Wow.

And since 2014, it has just snowballed from there. Numerous show reports where Sterephile and Audiostream writers waxed poetic about how glorious MQA was after being part of carefully controlled demos orchestrated by Meridian. Then later they were sent MQA files to evaluate on an MQA DAC with no non DSP'd files for comparison. Although I do remember Atkinson saying he had his own master files of some recordings MQA'd and was able to compare

So you see...their own words make the case.

I am not sure what you mean by saying Stereophile is not a consumer magazine. Then it is an industry magazine? It can't be boht, you can server two masters. That is an eternal truth.

Follow Ups: