Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: RIP Peter Aczel

Like Mr. Atkinson, I too read TAS and TAC side by side as a young audiophile ca. 1979-1983. IIRC, the last TAC that I received - quite "late" - showed the skeptical, unvarnished Aczel "for the first time".

(but maybe I hadn't noticed in his earlier issues)

(I, and audio friends, were unaware of Stereophile until about 1986-87. We liked it and subscribed)

I recall that he compared a rebuilt Citation 1 preamp to the then-current Audio Research flagship (the SP-10?) - essentially he said they were indistingusihable. Harry Pearson snorted at that in TAS.

Before that, he was high on the RGR-something-or-other preamp.

And, oh yeah, a loudspeaker by "Fourier" - which has been commented on here.

Much later, ten years (more?), I received an issue in which he was a full-on objective/DBT observer, complete with ridicule for open-testing and open testers.

(and now I see it was Issue 14, 1991, available for download)

So, I'll indulge in some pop-psychology - what "triggered" that objective stance, along with the ridicule?

PS - Apparently I'd forgotten that Aczel "stiffed" me by not producing those TAC issues.

PPS - I also recall that Aczel frequently had useful observations about loudspeakers, in addition to the rock-solid, measurable aspects of other audio gear (FWIW, I think Stereophiles's listen-and-measure approach is superior to only one or the other).

At some point Aczel seems to have stopped "trusting his ears". Others have suggested this was out of "spite" over head-space/literary (and meat-space)*** wars. But it seems psychologically untenable for all that to be motivated by spite - since it seemed he remained a fan of matters-audio, so I'll say that he "gave-in" to the "rationalist" in him.

***Damn, JA, that is some kind of nasty!! Unforgivable, really. As if he were his J Edgar Hoover to your John Lennon - thankfully without J Edgar's power.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: RIP Peter Aczel - jsusky 11:11:36 06/29/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.