Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "And he said no break in on metal tweeters or speaker drivers using rubber surrounds"

It could be just experience - he was a dealer/importer and has heard and had to break in most stereo brands. He also buys a lot of his top competitor's products. It's funny to see AvantGarde Acoustic Duos speakers sitting in his broom closet for example.

It could also be a bit of dry humour swipe at metal tweeters in general. This would not surprise me as one can see from the jab he takes at pretty much all Solid State amplification in his "Performance Level System" on his website.

The physical materials do have a sound. Perhaps break in analogous to why we wear shoes made of cloth and leather versus shoes made of aluminum/titanium/beryllium/steel.

I can't speak too much from personal experience because most of the time I try to save money by buying demonstration models that have been broken in before I bought them.

NEW speakers out of box are as follows
The B&W DM302 was the most profound and very obvious. The AN J I bought new and that seemed to go through a long process but it sounded good immediately - just sounded better after several hours (maybe 20hours).

My KEF LS-50 was fine right out of the box and so was my AX Two.

With pair matching and driver to driver mismatching from most brands it would be hard to test because you can't test one pair of speakers against another pair and note the measurement changes when pair matching is generally piss poor (see any Ken Kessler measurement). You would have to measure only the same pair of speakers fresh out of the box and maybe at 10 hours, 20 hours and 100 hours and see what happens.

And then it would still only apply to that speaker using those drivers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "And he said no break in on metal tweeters or speaker drivers using rubber surrounds" - RGA 02:42:26 06/24/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.