Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Likely an ignorant comment by me.

At this point I don't know how MQA works. Is it employed during the recording stage, mixing or mastering stage? Has zilch to do with any of that and is just employed in playback?

Thought something had to be encoded on digital files before/during mastering, but judging from your post I may well be wrong.

No, as mentioned earlier I'm not into downloading and have no hi-rez recordings. I have some r&b cd's, a few rock/pop cd's by artists like Sting and Steely Dan, some "classical" and a bunch of Latin/Brazilian cd's. But my digital collection is primarily jazz. I've never been into most white rock/pop, including the well known artists/groups so many inmates enjoy. Hence, I normally don't encounter problems related to things like the "loudness wars", at least not manifestations that make recordings sound compressed to shit.

Almost all of what I have sounds good enough to me on rbcd. I'm certainly open to checking out hi-rez and technology like MQA, but to be honest *as a listener* its not very important to me at this point. If I hear MQA, feel its a huge improvement and it becomes a professional standard I couldn't ignore it if I continue to record my own music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.