Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Comment on Ludwig's opinion? nt

Alan.

Maybe I can shed some light. It is important to look behind the curtain.

Mastering engineers are 100% post production. It is relatively quick and dirty work. I have sat in on at least a thousand mastering sessions. It is absolutely in the best interest of a high volume mastering house to promote ALL new formats.

Check this interview with Ludwig circa 2001. He touts SACD, surround, and DVD-A, and it is noted he was at that time one of the ONLY mastering houses that could output all formats. Good business? Absolutely. As a matter of fact, he sold his vinyl mastering set up because vinyl had "died out" at that point.

When the Stones Abko SACDs were mastered at this place, it was a very lucrative score.

Ludwig makes between 10-15K per album from established artists. He can do up to 5 albums a week, even more.

Massunberg is in the same boat. It is absolutely 100% in his best interest to promote this new so called format.

These videos were produced and wholly paid for by Meridian. Why would professionals who make more than $500 per hour volunteer their time to help a for profit corporation if there was nothing in it for them?

Lastly, MQA is NOT a recording process. It has NOTHING to do with the recording studio in any way. As a matter of fact, the press has presented bogus information that MQA was be applied at mastering when this is absolutely false. In fact, MQA has promising "mastering tools" for a over a year that have yet to appear.

The views above represent mine alone, and not that of pets, friends, colleagues, or relatives I may know.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Comment on Ludwig's opinion? nt - Isaak J. Garvey 10:27:06 06/06/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.