Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: But what about...?

>> if a process that corrects for timing of the A/D was applied, well, that plain and simply alters the original file <<

Yes, the original high-res file is altered in at least three ways:

1) The quad-rate audio data is compressed using lossy techniques.

2) The lowest 6 to 8 bits in all frequency bands are discarded to allow the dual- and quad-rate information to be "folded" underneath the audio data in the baseband. This is claimed to be "inaudible" as it is below the noise floor of the electronics. However it is well known that the ear/brain can distinguish correlated music 10dB or even 20dB below the noise floor of an LP, for example.

3) The so-called "blurring" in the original file is created by the digital anti-aliasing filter used in the A/D converter. This "ringing" is at a specific frequency - the corner frequency of the anti-aliasing filter - typically Fs/2. One concern about this filtering process is to ensure that new artifacts are not introduced.

In this sense MQA is like MP3 - both are lossy processes and the full original data can never be recovered.

All postings are strictly my own opinion and not necessarily those of my employer or my kids.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: But what about...? - Charles Hansen 09:22:10 05/25/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.