Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: There's no free lunch

"If one believes that bit depth is the most important parameter, this would not be much of an improvement over a standard Redbook (44/16) file. On the other hand if one believes that the sampling rate is more important (as do I, as it allows for much gentler, less destructive filters), then there is a benefit."

Thanks Charlie!

What would we do without you 'smart guys' to explain this stuff in a manner that even us lame audiophiles can understand?

And while one could argue (and MANY here DO) that the resulting file is NOT indistinguishable from the original Hi Rez master from which it was derived, that's hardly the point if the only other alternative to the consumer is a 16/44.1 FLAC version of the same recording.

And agree it's great to have the option of streaming 'hi rez' from QOBUZ in the form of their Sublime+, should it ever make it to our shores.

Again, thanks for the most eloquent of posts on a subject which has been much abused on these boards.

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

Edits: 05/22/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.