Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

you would be incorrect about that

Clearly you've not read my prior posts...

I have in fact built class D amps. We've been developing our own for some time and have a patent in the works. I also linked a simple class D amp for you to look at, easy to build, and had you read the simple article (with lots of photos) at that link, you would also know that all class D amps are an analog process.

From the Wikipedia page on Class D amps:

Terminology
The term "class D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. While some class-D amps may indeed be controlled by digital circuits or include digital signal processing devices, the power stage deals with voltage and current as a function of non-quantized time. The smallest amount of noise, timing uncertainty, voltage ripple or any other non-ideality immediately results in an irreversible change of the output signal. The same errors in a digital system will only lead to incorrect results when they become so large that a signal representing a digit is distorted beyond recognition. Up to that point, non-idealities have no impact on the transmitted signal. Generally, digital signals are quantized in both amplitude and wavelength, while analog signals are quantized in one (e.g. PWM) or (usually) neither quantity.

emphasis added; after that follows why class D is in fact not digital.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.