Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Corrections

These units don't work with analog signals, so your forced statement IT'S ANALOG doesn't apply.

This statement is outright false.

In order for a digital bit-stream to drive an amplifier, it gets converted into a series of pulses, which works out nicely for a class D amp, since that's what the converters in a normal class D amp do as well. So its a simple matter to marry a DAC and a class D amp together.

But that process is entirely analog. If it were not, there would not be a DAC in the circuit. There is no such thing as a pure digital amplifier.

Any hardware technician can tell you that the process that allows a computer or any digital product to work is also an analog process. The analog signals are merely interpreted as being digital ('on' or 'off'). But anyone that works with digital chips knows that they have a margin, for example a 5Volt digital chip is designed to interpret anything from about 4.2 volts to 5 volts and an 'on' signal. So its even worse than you imagined!

The reason there are things like 'errors' and the need for parity bits and the like is the simple fact that a digital signal can be eroded by the analog process in which it resides; degradation of magnetic or optial media, noise on transmission lines between ICs and so on. Its **all** analog. That's the world in which we live.

The situation here is that you like your gear and I'm not attacking it. What I am attacking is your argument which is heavily flawed, as others here are confirming.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.