Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Corrections

It depends on the age of the reviewers to a large degree. Younger reviewers tend to not have the money for a good vinyl rig nor did they grow up with it. So it stands to reason they would be using digital.

Sound isn't the only thing at play here anyway. Turntables as stated earlier are a big pain in the arse compared to CD. Computer audio is a pain in the arse for other reasons but once set-up is convenient.

But vinyl hasn't gone anywhere - looking at HMV's Vinyl section in Hong Kong - they dedicated almost an entire floor to it. It's not just the American market.

And just look at the top end of the turntable market and see how many $50k+ vinyl rigs are out there.

Opinions as to what sounds better are just opinions. The best "sound" I have heard has been in order R2R Tape, Vinyl, CD, Bluray, SACD, and in last place Computer Audio.

I will head to the California Audio Show in July and perhaps someone will be able to convince me to change the order. But here in Hong Kong in a Nottingham turntable demonstration against a fairly pricey computer audio DAC the turntable was very enjoyable - I had to shut Eva Cassidy off on the CA player it was so appalling.

And yes I have a Computer Audio Player - the Line Magnetic 502CA which uses a Sabre chip. In tube mode it is nice. SS it is virtually unlistenable which mirrors other SS computer audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Corrections - RGA 17:52:45 03/16/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.