Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: So, DBT audio judgement is more reliable than sighted?

It's too simple of a question for such a complictated subject. I would say that well designed comparisons done under blind conditions are more reliable than the same comparisons under sighted conditions IF all else is equal and the blind protocols are implimented well. When done well blind protocols do remove biases. But eliminating all relevant bias can be a bit more complicated than just putting blinders on. Biases can run both ways and there has to be controls for both positive and negative biases.

I don't buy the "stream of consciousness" argument. Blind protocols do not have to affect that. If the blind protocols are dulling one's perceptions then they are poorly designed and/or poorly implimented.

Now let me explain the "wig out." (and you are right, it was a wig out) It's the utter abuse that science as a dicipline and as a superior means of discovery recieves in the world of audiophilia. IMO both the objectivist and subjectivist camps in their most extreme are anti-science. One side rejects it because they feel that it runs contrary to their experiences and the other misapplies it because they are are uncomfortable with subjectivism in something as technical in nature as audio. At the risk of getting political, I will point out that we just elected a president who is a climate change denier. Denial of science as the best means of discovering the nature of reality is a serious problem. So when either side of the audio debates abuse science and/or misreperesnt it I get pissed off.

As for the use of DBTs or blind protocols in audio for us, the consumer I say do what works for you. Were not curing cancer, were not dealing with serious stuff like climate change. In the end if an audiophile likes what he or she has and is enjoying it that is great. It is the point of audio. I personally like using blind protocols in my audition process. Unlike a lot of these objectivist idiots I don't confuse my blind auditions with real science. I also do sighted comparisons along side the blind comparisons because that is how we listen when we normally listen. I understand that when I do this my opinions may be swayed by biases. But so what? My biases are in full play when I listen to my stereo normally. That's life. I would never tell anyone their opinions on audio are any more or less valid based on whether or not they use blind protocols. That's what ego driven audiophile assholes do. This big question about what is the right way and what is the wrong way and what is and is not valid is so easily answered. If you like it, it's good. I think audiophiles are better served if they look at the different approaches to auditioning and broaden their perspective. Then just find what works for you. The only validation we really need is our own joy of audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.