Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Sordidman, with all due respect and seriousness...

The piece reminded me of a little experiment I took part in at the Audiokarma Fest in Detroit several years ago. A cable manufacturer played three different sets of cables through the system, and after the third cable, asked the attendees which cable they preferred. Although not disclosed, I presumed the cables were demonstrated in ascending order of price. My wife and I preferred the second cables, those being the middle priced cable. (though I admit I raised my hand claiming to prefer the least expensive cable, hoping to possibly tweak the representative.) Based upon the lack of raised hands among the attendees to any of the cables, I posited that most of the attendees could not hear any differences., or were so unconfident in their opinions that they preferred to remain silent.

Well, the cable representative proceeded to tell us that the third cable was the best, despite what I heard, and which also just so happened to be their most expensive cable. It may very well have been better. In another system. But as I recall the speakers were Ushers, and a little dark sounding to my ears. I suspect I preferred the second pair of cables because were a probably a little brighter on top, which matched with the Ushers in a way that the more expensive cables, while perhaps a little more neutral, did not.

I go to at least one live music event a week, consisting of acoustic jazz, heavy metal, bluegrass, americana/roots, a little blues, and some progressive/alternative, and some pop. I think I have a handle on what live music sounds like. I found the cable reps' response humorous. Despite what appears to be JVS' similar response, I found his piece more condescending to those who disagree with him than I did the cable rep. I liken it to the Napoleon complex. I think some reviewers feel they have passed the hazing process to be a reviewer, someone has told them they have reached the audio mountaintop, and they have developed divine wisdom, and their subjective opinions have moved into the realm of fact. It is the same thing as politicians who graduated from Ivy league schools. Or our local professional football coach who, when asked questions he considers to challenge his coaching, responds that he played the game, they did not, thank you very much, so stop challenging me.

You see, they are smarter than the rest of us. Don't believe me? Just ask 'em. I don't speak for JA, but I suspect his job is to print various points of view, in part to get us talking about an article, which has obviously succeeded.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sordidman, with all due respect and seriousness... - jamesgarvin 10:04:28 01/16/13 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.