Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: JA said that I should subscribe via Zinio

John, the problem I have is that I get Scientific American and TAS in PDF on a computer monitor and have little trouble with the mismatch in aspect ratios because it's easy to go into single page mode and scroll rapidly through the document. Zinio, on the other hand, is such a nightmare on the PC that I curse every time I try to read an issue of Stereophile, and end up reading only about half of what I ordinarily would. If you turn on the zoom, it's slow as molasses. With the latest issue (or version of Air, since there seems to be a new one every month), I couldn't even get it to remember my zoom settings. Just going through the measurements sidebars in a single review, which require a higher zoom than the rest of the page now that the charts have gotten smaller, was a complete nightmare as a result.

I could go on, e.g., about the fact that when you try to get the issue when you receive the notification email it always craps out -- I've learned to wait a day before going to it.

I say this not because I get a kick out of griping, but because I can't imagine that you want you readers to have this kind of experience, even if relatively few of us read it on the PC.

Edits: 08/17/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.