Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Why the system is important

Let me offer an analogy. Driving a car is a system consisiting of the car, the driver and the road. SImilarly, listening to music is a system consisitng of the stereo system, the listener and the room.

Thnk about car reviews. If we could put cars together by taking one type of transmission ,and one type of engine, and one type of suspension, and if car reviews consisted of COMPONENT reviews (thihs gearbox has susch and such ratios, and we tested it in this car that we madeup etc) how useful would that be? I would submit to you that MOST audiophiles do not like the idea of buying components, and do so only becuase they feel they do not have an optimum system. Consider a world where an audiophile can classify themselves into a class of listener, classify their room into a class of room, and then get a choice of 50 systems that have been put together by a respected audio journal. Each systems is as optimal as it can be. How many audiophiles would then start the buy each component and then churn it process?

My feeling is that most audiophiles get tired of this after a while and pretty much stay with the system after a few years of tweaking. An audio journal that offered these facilties and charged $5 for the privilege( or even $25 to get the list of 50 systems best suited to each class of listener, for each class of room) would probably sell very well. Of course, this is only my opinion, I have no data to back it up. A market survey would be in order.
-akhilesh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Why the system is important - abajaj11 07:24:37 06/02/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.