Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Devil's in the details...or is it?

My initial thoughts were at the strategic level. Here are some more ideas at the EXECUTION level in response to points raised by JA:

1. Publish it on the internet, charging folks a $5 access..no paper, no glossy stuff, no costs, except web site hosting, and actual time spent typing the articles in and scanning some basic images.

2. Get reviewers who LIKE to do this, have other day jobs, and have a listening room. In other words, pay them NADA. I would argue most audiophiles would fit in this category(how else would they afford their hobby?). I know i would volunteer for an endeavor like this, if it was done right.. i suspect most people in this hobby would.
Cost: zero.

Putting the acoustic systems together: this is where the editorial board's expertise comes in. Cost: zero except in their time.

Other costs: After systems have been CREATED by the editorial board, ask the manufacturers to pay for shipping the components in these systems both ways. This probably already happens, and most mfrs would do so in a heartbeat.
Cost to new mag: zero.

It seems $5 an online issue will MORE than cover the costs. Main cost would be web site hosting. However, it will obviously no longer be what Stereophile is today... it will be much more modest in presentation, with a different content. i guess i am talking of a COMPLEMENTARY publication that will fulfill a different niche (IMHO Stereophile is more of a fashion publication, and as a subscriber i like reading it but really...that is ALL it is). This one would be a more scientific publication, trying to predict the PHENOMENON of listening, which, as we mentioned earlier: consists of interactions between the listener, the sound system and the room.

Anyways, my 2 cents... or is it $5?
-akhilesh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.