Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Why TAS is starting to drive me away

What about Paul Seydor's review of McIntosh preamps and amps in #147? It discussed company philosophy and history. There was also a nice piece of context-setting on the last page of that issue regarding audiophile's opinions of McIntosh. I hope I am not bringing up the exception that proves the rule!

IMHO,I suspect that the editing of the writers contributes to your note that TAS' writers are all alike. Compare the reviews that REG, Aaron Shatzmann, Tamara Baker, and Anthony Cordesmann wrote BEFORE Robert Harley took over as editer and particularly before Mike Fisher took over as publisher (pre #112). Where's the Zoid?! Where's Dan Davis' "Quarter Notes"? Even following David Morrell's journey into audiophilia was interesting and fun. Where is that sense of adventure and discovery now?

A magazine changes over the years...and TAS has definitely changed over the last 10 years. But Harley is still learning and hopefully, TAS will continue to be "The High End Journal" (even if it no longer says it on the cover or contents page!).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Why TAS is starting to drive me away - Gee LP 15:15:07 05/27/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.